one sunny day this last spring as our design team was hard at work at the kate spade new york x magnolia bakery collection, our sweet friends brought dozens of freshly baked cupcakes, vats of pastel-colored vanilla cream frosting and an assortment of sprinkles for a lesson in how to create the iconic magnolia bakery frosting swirl ourselves.
here’s what we learned:
- set up: place cooled cupcakes, icing wand, container of frosting and sprinkles on a table (1). paper lace doily optional but so lovely.
- hold your icing wand: wrap your fingers around the handle, extending your pointer finger along the edge of the icing wand.
- prepare your icing: to get all the air bubbles out and make the icing super smooth, dip the icing wand into the vat of frosting and smooth it back and forth, back and forth, back and forth….till it’s light and fluffy.
- in one clean swoop, scoop a dollop of frosting onto the wand (2) and swipe it (all of it!) onto the cupcake.
- lightly place the wand flat atop the frosting and, with your fingers, spin the cupcake as you “pat pat pat” the frosting. you’re whipping in some air to give it height and fluffy texture.
- to make the iconic swirl, simply tilt the icing wand slightly as you spin the cupcake one final time, and then pull the wand up and away (3).
- voila! (4)
thank you for a delicious afternoon, magnolia bakery!
you’re the sweetest.
Filed under: deliberate polish, how to's, what's new
don't miss most shared posts
February 15, 2013 | column: the style spy
February 11, 2013 | column: , 20th anniversary: things we love
February 08, 2013 | column: , 20th anniversary: things we love
January 25, 2013 | column: , 20th anniversary: things we love